Wednesday, August 10, 2011

lately...

lately the passage of scripture in Deuteronomy 6:4-9 has been popping up all around me. 

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.[b] 5You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. 6And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. 8You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. 9 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates."


it leaves me wondering what it looks like on a day to day basis to teach my children to love the Lord with all that they are? we are active in our church, pray with abbey and read from her Bible at night but is that enough? i'm going to go ahead and say no. 


when i first started to think about this and our need to find ways to incorporate God into more of our daily life (outside of prayer time and the occasional worship music around the house/car) i was thinking of it for abbey's benefits. "she needs to learn what it means to love God with her whole heart", is what i thought at first. but then, something scary happened yesterday. i was going through these thoughts again in my head as i made dinner, thinking about how i needed to do some brainstorming for ideas when it hit me- I need to learn what it means to love God with my whole heart. because the truth is if God is already the main focus of my daily life-if i'm already talking about Him daily and making all of our life about Him (as it should be) then she will get it. i wouldn't have to sit and ponder up creative ways to incorporate God-it would overflow from my heart into her little life. 


ouch. this is just another way in which parenting is so refining. one way that God uses our children to draw us back to Him.


so, my question still is, what does it look like to focus our (my) daily life on Christ?


i came across a blog from a woman on staff at our church. i don't know her personally but have heard her speak at various trainings and am always blown away by the way God has gifted her to teach His Word-and especially when it comes to applying His truth to women. i read this post on what it means to be a woman who fears God. i highly suggest taking the time to read it (and subscribing to her blog for that matter!). i can't think of anything else that i'd rather my children say about me as adults than that i was a woman who feared the Lord and loved Him with her whole life. it sounds like such an unbelievable hope but the greatest thing about it all is that i don't have to figure it out on my own. i don't have to get there by own good works or merit-i only have to trust in Christ to do it for me.


whew-that a blessing.

No comments: