Saturday, January 22, 2011

day 1: beauty defined

What does beauty mean to you?


"You should be known for the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God." 1 peter 3:4


being raised in a media flooded culture created a distorted view of "beauty". i spent much of my adolescent and young adult life (btw when do we stop being young adults?) trying to fight myself into an image of beauty that i had created in my head. the short description of this image could be summed up in one word: thin. not just thin but skinny. the kind of skinny that elicits such comments as "you look too thin" and "i'm worried about you-eat something". sadly, those comments only made me feel like i was accomplishing my goal. fortunately, over the past few years i've developed a new definition of beauty and it has much to do with with scripture above. i realized i was spending way too much effort focusing on my external beauty when my focus needed to be inward beauty.


so to me, a beautiful person is one who loves God with their whole being, who loves others and strives to serve others often and well. when i think of the people who i find truly beautiful in my life-i think of those who posses these qualities. 

1 comment:

Brittany P. said...

love this. couldn't have put it better myself.